Winter in the Adirondack Mountains:
Cross Country Skiing at the Paul Smiths VIC
2015-2016 Ski Season
Winter Trail Conditions
|This site is no longer being updated with information on the VIC's ski and snowshoe programs. For current information on skiing and snowshoeing at the VIC, visit: www.paulsmiths.edu/vic/ski.|
VIC trail users must purchase a season or day trail pass during the winter, when the Paul Smiths VIC becomes a cross-country ski center with over 25 miles of groomed trails for cross country skiing, skate skiing, and snowshoeing. For more information, call Brian McDonnell at (518) 327-6241 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The VIC's Nordic trails are open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily. Trail users are asked to register at the VIC building. Trails are monitored by a trained volunteer first-aid ski patrol and a courtesy patrol to assist people with directions. Trail pass holders are eligible for discounts on weekend events and programs at the VIC, including bird watching walks, natural-history themed walks and events, and back country snowshoeing led by VIC staff up the Adirondack Low Peaks.
Additionally, the VIC rents cross-country skis for $20 a day and snowshoes for $15. Trail fees are NOT included in the cost of the rental. The VIC also hosts a series of ski races, snowshoe races, and skate ski clinics.
Ski passes for the 2014/2015 ski season may be purchased at the VIC. For more information, call Brian McDonnell at (518) 327-6241 or email email@example.com. Download a Winter Season Pass Application.
|Winter Trail Fees|
|Day Pass||Season Pass|
|Under 6 years old: Free||Under 6 years old: Free|
|Child (6-17): $5||Child (6-17): $50|
|Adult (18-64): $12||Adult (18-64): $100|
|Senior (65+): $10||Senior (65+): $80|
|PSC alumni: $10||PSC alumni: $80|
|Current Paul Smith’s College students: Free||Current Paul Smith’s College students: Free|
|Other college students: $8||Other college students: $80|
|Veteran/Current Military: $8 each||Veteran/Current Military: $80|
|Town of Brighton Resident: $8||Town of Brighton Resident: $80|
- Applicants are allowed one discount.
- Guest pass: Add an additional $50.00 to any season pass and receive 10 day passes to bring a friend to the VIC anytime.
- Friends of the VIC: Show your membership card and receive a 25% discount on Day and Season Passes.
- PSC Faculty and Staff are eligible for free individual Friends of the VIC membership. Bring your PSC ID to the VIC.
- Day and Season passes are included as part of the Friends of the VIC Trailblazer membership.
- Family Pass: If two adults living in the same household purchase adult passes, children under 18 living in the same residence ski free.
- Season Pass Holders and Friends of the VIC receive a 10 % discount on XC ski and snowshoe rentals from MAC’S at the VIC.
- Bring your VIC trail pass with you to winter events to receive VIC Center event and program discounts.
- Your trail pass helps pay for grooming equipment, personnel and continuing improvements to the VIC trail system. To support the VIC year round, please consider becoming a "Friend of the VIC" by going to friendsofthevic.com
"Roaring Freestyle" Ski Race at the Paul Smith's College VIC. Photo courtesy of Thomas and Dori Gilman. Used by permission.
When there is adequate snow cover, the trails are open from 9 AM to 5 PM. There are three categories of trails available at the VIC, providing opportunities for outdoor recreation for people of all abilities. In addition, some trails are designated for skijoring (dog-drawn skiing). Skijorers are welcome at the VIC on Sunday and Wednesday mornings.
Winter trail users are asked to stay on the marked trails and not to try to create new routes. Trail users are also asked to refrain from going out on the ice. Trail users should report trail maintenance needs to the VIC staff and follow the New York State Safety in Skiing Code. In general, trails are skied in a clockwise direction. Access to all trails will be through the VIC building, where food, hot and cold drinks, local art and last minute essential supplies are available.
Classic Ski Trails
Classic ski trails are typically groomed 4 feet wide with a snowmobile and grooming equipment. Track is set when conditions permit.
- WOODS AND WATERS TRAIL: 3 miles (one way) Follow the orange trail markers.
- HERON MARSH TRAIL: 3 miles. Follow the light grey trail markers.
- ESKER TRAIL: 1.5 miles. Follow the light green trail markers.
- BOBCAT TRAIL: 1.25 miles. Follow the orange trail markers.
Classic ski trails are open to snowshoers. Please avoid walking in set tracks.
Skating Ski Trails
These trails are typically groomed 8 to 10’ wide with the VIC's quadra-tracked or snowmobile groomers. The trails are packed and rolled as conditions permit. Skate trails can be used by non-skate skiers. However, those on classic skis or snowshoes are asked to stay to the side of the trail.
- EASY STREET: 1 mile. Follow the light blue trail markers.
- LOGGERS LOOP: 6 miles. Follow the dark green trail markers.
- FOX RUN: .5 miles. Follow the dark red trail markers.
- SKIDDER TRAIL: Follow the orange trail markers.
Snowshoe trails are typically packed by snowshoers. Most designated snowshoe trails can be skied on with adequate snow and appropriate skier ability. Leashed, well-behaved dogs are allowed on the snowshoe trails. Dog owners are asked to sign their dog in and clean up after it. The VIC reserves the right to ask dog owners to remove their dog from the VIC property.
- BOREAL LIFE TRAIL: 1 mile. Follow the light blue trail markers.
- JENKINS MOUNTAIN TRAIL: 4.5 miles (one way). Follow the dark blue trail markers.
- BLACK POND LOOP: 2.5 miles. Follow the orange markers.
- LONG POND TRAIL: .5 miles. Follow the light green trail markers.
- BARNUM BROOK TRAIL: .8 miles. Follow the light blue trail markers.